chapter 17 strong wind,gone with the wind chapter 17,strong wind synonym,strong wind crossword clue,strong wind is called,strong wind speed,strong wind sound effect,strong wind story,what causes strong winds
Chapter 17 Strong Wind
B VOCABULARY BUILDER
Match the words with their Indonesian equivalents. Compare your work to your classmate’s.
a sled (noun) arang
gentle (adjective) bergetar
jealous (adjective) lembut
rags (noun) kereta es
coals (noun) tali panah
remain (verb) membakar
bow (noun) baju lusuh
burn (verb) tetap
bowstring (noun) panah
turn into (verb) mengubah
tremble (adjective) iri
fear (noun) kejahatan
meanness (noun) ketakutan
sled (noun) kereta es/sluncur
gentle (adjective) lembut
jealous (adjective) iri
rags (noun) baju lusuh
coals (noun) arang
remain (verb) tetap
bow (noun) panah
burn (verb) membakar
bowstring (noun) tali panah
turn into (verb) mengubah
tremble (adjective) bergetar
fear (noun) ketakutan
meanness (noun) kejahatan
D READING COMPREHENSION
Read the story and fill in the blanks with the following words: tremble, lying, jealous, bow, long, fine, invisible, rope, gentle, rags.
Once there was a great warrior named Strong Wind. He lived with his sister in a tent by the sea. Strong Wind was able to make himself _______________(1). His sister could see him, but no one else could. He had said he would marry the first woman who could see him as he came at the end of the day.
Many women came up to his tent to watch for him. When his sister saw him coming, she would ask, “Do you see him?”
Each girl would answer, “Oh, yes! I see him!”
Then Strong Wind’s sister would ask, “What is he pulling his sled with?”
And then the girls would answer, “with a _____________ (2)” or “with a wooden pole.”
Then Strong Wind’s sister would know that they were lying, because their guesses were wrong.
A chief lived in a village. His wife had died, and he had three daughters. One was much younger than the other two. She was gentle, kind and beautiful, but her sisters were ___________ (3) of her and treated her badly. They cut off her long black hair and they made her wear rags. They also burned her face with coals so that she would be ugly. They lied to their father that she did these things to herself. But she remained calm and _______________ (4).
The two older sisters also went to try and see Strong Wind. When he was coming, Strong Wind’s sister asked them, “Do you see him?”
“Oh, yes! I see him!” Each of them answered.
“What is his bow made out of?” asked Strong Wind’s sister.
“Out of iron,” answered one. “Out of wood,” answered the other.
“You have not see him,” said Strong Wind’s sister.
Strong Wind himself heard them and knew that they had lied. They went into the tent, but still they could not see him. They went home very sad.
One day the youngest daughter went to try and see Strong Wind. She was wearing ____________ (5), and burn covered her face. People laughed at her, but she kept going. When she got to Strong Wind’s tent she waited.
When Strong Wind was coming, his sister asked the girl, “Do you see him?”
“No,” the girl answered. “I don’t see him.”
Strong Wind’s sister was surprised because the girl had told the truth. “Now do you see him?” asked Strong Wind’s sister.
“Yes,” answered the girl. “Now, I do see him. He is very wonderful.”
“What is his _______________ (6) made of?” asked Strong Wind’s sister.
“The rainbow,” answered the girl.
“And what is the bowstring made of?” asked Strong Wind’s sister.
“Of Stars,” answered the girl.
Then Strong Wind’s sister knew that the girl could really see him. He had let her see him because she had told the truth.
“You really have seen him,” said Strong Wind’s sister. Then the sister washed the girl, and all the burns went away. Her hair grew ____________ (7) and black again. The sister dressed the girl in _______________ (8)clothes. Strong Wind came and the girl became his wife.
The girl’s two older sisters were very angry, but Strong Wind turned them into aspen trees. Ever since that day, the leaves of the aspen tree always ______________ (9) with fear wherever he comes near, because they know he remembers their ______________ (10) and meanness.
Answer the following questions:
1. Who is Strong Wind?
2. What was Strong Wind’s special capability?
3. How would Strong Wind’s sister know that the girls were lying?
4. Who burned the chief’s youngest daughter?
5. Who could see Strong Wind and how could she do that?
6. How did the chief’s youngest daughter regain her old face?
7. What did Strong Wind change into an aspen tree?
8. Did Strong Wind know that the chief elder daughters were rude to their youngest sister? Justify your answer.
9. Why did Strong Wind decide to have the chief youngest daughter as his wife?
10. If you were in the story, which role would you play? Why?
1. He was a great warrior who lived in a tent by the sea.
2. Strong Wind was able to make himself invisible.
3. By identifying their guesses. If their guesses were wrong, she could
conclude that the girls were lying.
4. Her elder sisters burned her face.
5. The chief ’s youngest daughter. She could do this because Strong Wind had
let her see him.
6. Strong Wind’s sister washed her face and the face clean again.
7. The chief ’s elder daughters was turned into aspen trees.
8. Yes, he knew that.
9. Because she was an honest girl.
10. The answer is up to the students’ preferences.
11. Strong Wind decided to have the chief youngest daughter as his wife
because he had promised to marry anyone who could see him and the girl
could see him because she was honest.
12. Jawaban terserah S, semua jawaban S dihargai. If I were in the story, I
would like to be …..
E VOCABULARY EXERCISE
Complete the following sentences using the words in the box. If needed, you may change the parts of speech.
wind warrior sled
invisible rope gentle
jealous rags coals
remain mean bowstring
seated tremble fear
1. The poor peasants wear ______________ every day.
2. You may not ______________ of somebody else’s wealth.
3. Coming home, her ______________ body made us anxious to know what had happened.
4. Remain ______________ although your name is called for hundred times.
5. She is always ______________ to me. I don’t know why.
6. The ______________ is elastic. It can stretch as long as 60 centi metres.
7. She ______________ to speak in her father’s presence.8. The great, fearless ______________ fight for his beloved country.
9. They used ______________ to pull the carts.
10. The ______________ blew the young man’s hat.
11. The ______________ hand help her solve the chronic problem.
12. The ______________ was pulled by two dogs.
13. The girl is ______________ and beautiful.
E. VOCABULARY EXERCISES
1. The poor peasants wear rags every day.
2. You may not feel jealous of some body else’s wealth.
3. Coming home, her tremble body made us anxious to know what had
4. Remain seated although your name is called for hundred times.
5. She is always mean to me. I don’t know why.
6. The bowstring is elastic. It can stretch as long as 60 centimeters.
7. She fears to speak in her father’s presence.
8. The great, fearless warrior fought for his beloved country.
9. They used rope to pull the carts.
10. The wind blew the young man’s hat.
11. The invisible hand helps her solve the chronic problem.